Home » The Newsroom » Hutchison Steps Back From November Race After Nepean By-Election

Hutchison Steps Back From November Race After Nepean By-Election

Tracee Hutchison, Nepean by-election, Nepean state election, November 2026 state election, community independent, Mornington Peninsula politics, Anthony Marsh, Victorian Electoral Commission

Tracee Hutchison has announced she will not contest the November 2026 state election after finishing second in the Nepean by-election.

Independent candidate Tracee Hutchison will not contest the November state election, weeks after finishing second in the Nepean by-election.

Hutchison ran as a community independent in the 2 May by-election and had previously indicated she would contest the seat again in November.

In a media statement released on 20 May, she said she had reassessed her capacity to mount another campaign so soon after the by-election.

“Our by-election campaign was all about doing politics differently. Full of hope and belief that people-powered politics can make a big impact. And we did.”

Hutchison Says Campaign Made Ground

Hutchison said her campaign achieved 37 per cent of the final two-candidate vote from a 21 per cent primary vote, which she described as “unprecedented for an Independent in Nepean”.

Victorian Electoral Commission results show Liberal candidate Anthony Marsh won the seat with 15,682 first-preference votes, or 38.68 per cent.

One Nation’s Darren Hercus finished with 9,941 first-preference votes, or 24.52 per cent. Hutchison received 8,533 first-preference votes, or 21.05 per cent.

The final preference distribution put Marsh on 25,642 votes, or 63.24 per cent, ahead of Hutchison on 14,903 votes, or 36.76 per cent.

Campaign Described As “Brutal”

Hutchison said the campaign had been “brutal” and said she welcomed Victorian Electoral Commission interest in campaign behaviour.

“Voting is compulsory, so there is an obligation to ensure participation in that process is safe for everyone involved, voters and candidates.”

Hutchison said she saw voters caught in “cross-party abuse and mistruths about candidates” as they entered polling booths. She said that conduct undermined what voting “should be about”.

The statement did not detail the nature of the VEC interest or identify any specific complaint.

Supporters Thanked

Hutchison thanked her supporters, volunteers, donors, Indies for MP and voters who placed her first on their ballot paper.

She said the result showed voters had started looking beyond the major parties.

“We proved that a genuine grassroots community-led campaign can have a huge impact, and we’ve sent a strong message that the major parties are on notice.”

Hutchison said support for state and federal independent candidates had grown across recent election cycles on the Mornington Peninsula, and said she expected that momentum to continue.

Return To Community Work

Hutchison said she would now return to her role at Southern Peninsula Community Support, where she advocates for people in crisis.

She said she would also continue her involvement in local environment and climate action campaigns, creative community advocacy and support for the peninsula’s tourism sector.

Hutchison said her Tracee4Nepean social media pages and website would close on Friday 22 May, but she would remain active on her personal platforms.

Share your love

Leave a comment